Sunday, October 12, 2008

The young boy and the sea

Wondering what is my true nature is a subject that has been occupying my mind for quite a long while. Today, I have found something very interesting about myself: I have a strong affinity to the sea. Why? Probably because I believe I come from the sea. I mean this in the cultural rather than the evolutionary sense. My ancestral homeland is an island that faces the vast South China Sea. My hometown is a seaside town next to South China Sea. My grandparents traveled across the South China Sea to go to Malaysia. My grandmother nearly drowned in the sea. In fact, my feeling for it so strong that I am to be given the chance to decide how I am going to be buried, I will choose to have my ashes spread into the ocean.

The sea, with its vastness and indifference, never fails to remind me of my insignificance and the impermanence of my life. I will never get a response when I shout at it. I will never stop the waves from pounding the land. If the sea can talk, it is probably telling me "no matter what you do, you will never be as great as I am. I am permanent. You are nothing." That's why when I am troubled, the place that I always to be at is the sea. Because when you are in front of a thing of such great magnitude, all your troubles and concerns seem petty and worthless. Standing in front of it, all my worries evaporate within a short instant. When I first went to Singapore at the age of 12, I was terribly homesicked. My favorite place to go was always the Chinese High terrace, where I could look at the vast expanse of empty fields, because it reminded me of the sea.

Back to the reality, I drove to Stinton beach today. The drive and the seaview along the way was marvelous. I enjoyed myself thoroughly today. If anyone of you comes to visit, I will definitely bring you there.
Figuring out what to do
Having fun
Standing on top of a cliff, overlooking th pacific ocean

2 comments:

Diego Ryo said...

bring me there when i visit you!


btw, i laughed out loud when i read this sentence =)
"My favorite place to go was always the Chinese High terrace, where I could look at the vast expanse of empty fields, because it reminded me of the sea."

SET said...

Be my guest. Haha...

I didn't know why I liked that place so much, especially when I was staying in the old hostel. When I was in HC, sometimes I'll take a detour to go past the terrace. Now everything seems to make sense. Sigh... those were the innocent days.